All I can say is Wow. This thing is such a pleasure to use. Nikon really outdid themselves. Right off the bat, the following things are worth the upgrade:
- Higher-res LCD
- Bigger LCD
- Moving around on LCD gets fast sooner than on D200.
- Ability to set Auto-ISO above 1600!
- Easier to read text in menus and more descriptive names in menus
- Sharper (at least with Sharpness cranked up) than D200 ever was.
So far I’ve only shot it with my 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor lens.
4 October 2011 update: I’ve had my D90 body for almost three years. For me, for a digital body, that’s a long time. And I’m still very happy with it. Noticed some dust on the mirror for the first time the other day. The rubber under my right thumb position has come unglued, but whatever. I’d really like an FX body to get wider shots with my 50mm f/1.4 and to get maximum low-light picture quality, but the D700 is
- Expensive; and
- Large; and
- Liable to be improved upon in the next year or so.
For my needs, my D90 still beats every other Nikon body I’ve owned. Namely, D40, D70, D80, D200. I suspect the Fuji X100 would challenge it for my affections.